Sunday, March 13, 2011

Featured Artisan: Julia Lukowsky


Wheel thrown and hand built pottery.
 
  I create functional pottery with slight sculptural elements.  My work is primarily wheel thrown and altered porcelain with in some cases hand-built attachments.  I would like my work to reflect the soft curves of the female form and also mimic the gestures and attitude of the body.  I am interested in conveying a sense of movement in some of my pots.  In a way that you are forced to pick up the pots and examine them from all angles.  I am also drawn to the contrast between sharp angles and smooth curves.  For glazes, I like to explore the full spectrum, from shiny browns to matte pinks and anything in between.  I am fascinated with the chemical changes that occur inside the kiln during the final firing stage.  I love the variation and surprise when you open the kiln to discover the finished works.

No comments:

Post a Comment